Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Bob Woodward: From Watergate Hero to Plamegate Facilitator


CLICK TO READ: Woodward Was Told of Plame More Than Two Years Ago-Washington Post

During Watergate, I remember thinking of Woodward and Bernstein as heroes for their their role in exposing the Watergate coverup. That was then. Now, I really don't know what to think about Woodward. Maybe he never was a hero, but instead just some lucky rookie reporter who happened to be in the right place at the right time. After all, it was just chance that he came to know and develop a friendship with the man who would later become "deep throat". Maybe his motivation to write about Watergate had more to do with getting a "scoop" than exposing a criminal administration.

I'm not surprised that he didn't volunteer information to Fitzgerald that was given to him confidentially. But I am surprised that he didn't reveal he had information regarding the Plame investigation to his editor at the Post. Why not? My "gut" tells me something about Woodward and the whole situation in not quite kosher. His first book on Bush was suspiciously complimentary. But I tried to tell myself he was just trying to be an objective reporter. Now, and in view of his statements about Fitzgerald, I really wonder. Hopefully, time will tell.

PHOTO: (Brad Barket - Getty Images)

No comments: