Sunday, November 20, 2005

What I Knew Before the Invasion by Bob Graham

CLICK TO READ: What I Knew Before the Invasion by Bob Graham - Washington Post:

THE UNKNOWN CANDIDATE: From his congressional vantage point, Bob Graham, former Democratic Senator from Florida, talks about what he knew and didn't know before the Iraq war and how he based his vote on whether to give Bush the authority to go to war. "As chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence during the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001, and the run-up to the Iraq war, I probably had as much access to the intelligence on which the war was predicated as any other member of Congress."

Highly critical of the president's recent attacks on Democrats, Graham says congressmen can no longer trust Bush.

BOB GRAHAM: "From my advantaged position, I had earlier concluded that a war with Iraq would be a distraction from the successful and expeditious completion of our aims in Afghanistan. Now I had come to question whether the White House was telling the truth -- or even had an interest in knowing the truth.On Oct. 11, I voted no on the resolution to give the president authority to go to war against Iraq. I was able to apply caveat emptor. Most of my colleagues could not."

No comments: