- NSA Whistle-Blower Will Go Before Congress
Chris Strohm, CongressDaily: "A former intelligence officer for the National Security Agency said he plans to tell Senate staffers next week that unlawful activity occurred at the agency under the supervision of Gen. Michael Hayden beyond what has been publicly reported, while hinting that it might have involved the illegal use of space-based satellites and systems to spy on U.S. citizens."
- Spy Agency Watching Americans From Space
- The NSA has your number | Chicago Tribune
The Chicago Tribune asserts that "President Bush's assurance Thursday that the privacy of Americans was being 'fiercely protected' was not at all convincing" in light of the "vast, secret database with records of tens of millions of telephone calls made by Americans" that the NSA has gathered.
- TIME.com: Inside Bush's Secret Spy Net
Your phone records have been enlisted in the war on terrorism. Should that make you worry more or less?
- NEW: NSA Stymies Justice Dept. Spying Probe
The government has abruptly ended an inquiry into the warrantless eavesdropping program because the National Security Agency refused to grant Justice Department lawyers the necessary security clearance to probe the matter.
- NEW: Cheney Pushed U.S. to Widen Eavesdropping