Saturday, January 07, 2006

'Truthiness' is Word of The Year

CNN reported today that "a panel of linguists has decided the word that best reflects 2005 is "truthiness," defined as the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts."

Ok. This story is making me a little bit Cruisazy.

In all truthiness, if these linguists, lexicologists, editors and academics are picking the "word" of the year...how come so many of the runner-up "words" are, in facty, "phrases," like "muffin top," "whale tail," or "jump the couch?"

These particular linguists seem to have their whale tails where their brains should be.

To be facty about it, last time I checked, a phrase was made up of two or more words, and a word was--duhhhh--made up of one word.

I think it only fair that I announce my new word of the year for a linguist or lexicologist judge who can't distinguish between a word and a phrase: "lingbat"

The runner up?-- "Mislexicon"

Link: CNN.com - 'Truthiness' is� word of the year - Jan 7, 2006

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love 'in facty' -- i'll prolly steal it one of these days, and try to force it into something of my own, lol

The Unknown Candidate said...

Be my guest! It's fun stuff coining new words. Nice diversion from politics, too .... ;>)

PS. Keep meaning to ask you...do you have an e-mail for comments on your blog? It would be nice to be able to leave a comment on your blog once in a while ... but if you'd rather not e-mail me your address, I understand.

Anonymous said...

my addy is underneath the drunken prostitute at upper right, where it says 'dis me' (you have to take out the 'remove me' from the address, added to foil commercial email addy collectors).

i was gonna mail you the other day (i forget about what exactly now; it figures), lol. i won't have comments--trackbacks were bad enough (mostly for texas hold'em or whatever) so i had to disable them some time back.

trying to get back on-topic here, i LOVE words, especially made-up ones that do the job just as well as those in the dictionary and at best, also have a 'secret' meaning. :-)

The Unknown Candidate said...

We have a lot in common. (Cue the Twilight Zone music!) LOL. Had a feeling bout your email...thanks for clu'in me in. Right now, I'm off to stuff my face with pizzzzaaaaa...