Sunday, December 03, 2006

Kristof's Anti-"Atheist Brigade" Tirade

I detect a religious believer's paranoia in Kristof's most recent op ed. I don't share it.

I did not take Professor Dawkin's website, "Why Does God Hate Amputees?" to be "militant" or "snarky," as Kristof attests; nor did I find it threatening to my faith.

I took it as one man's intellectual attempt to deal with the question of religion and God. Whether I agree with him or not, I respect his right to his beliefs or non-beliefs.

The question is, why does Kristof find it so disturbing? Anyone?

One more thing, Nick: In my reality-based world, I find no evidence that the "Christian Right has largely retreated from the culture wars."

What world are you living in, Nick? Oh, yeah -- faith-based.

A Modest Proposal for a Truce on Religion
By Nicholas D. Kristof
The New York Times
"... Now that the Christian Right has largely retreated from the culture wars, let’s hope that the Atheist Left doesn’t revive them. We’ve suffered enough from religious intolerance that the last thing the world needs is irreligious intolerance."
Read more.

Non-Times Select Subscribers, click here.

Photo Credit: Nicholas Kristof. (Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times)

No comments: