Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How McCain Turned His Back on the Vietnamese Man Who Saved His Life


John McCain never tires of declaring himself a war hero. After reading this article, ask yourself, is this the way a "hero" behaves? Read all about it:
"Forty-one years after McCain was shot down in Vietnam, the man who saved his life has died in obscurity.

[...]

As I stood on the floor of the Xcel Energy Center, some 50 yards from John McCain as he accepted his party's presidential nomination, the projector flashed that same black-and-white photo image I had seen in Vietnam of McCain being dragged to the shore of Truc Bach Lake. Moments later, to my surprise, I heard McCain say: " … I was beginning to learn the limits of my selfish independence. Those men saved my life." But McCain wasn't talking about the Vietnamese people who pulled him from that lake, people whose homes he had just bombed. He was talking about his fellow American POWs. Had McCain truly erased from his memory a touching reunion that took place just over a dozen years before?

I could only think about how different the narrative would be had McCain said: "I was beginning to learn the limits of my selfish independence. Those (Vietnamese civilians) saved my life (because they understood the humanity in all of us that transcends government and country)."

No comments: